Leading a new generation of stick technology...
For 2015 we have continued to fine-tune our ranges of composite sticks to suit the differing individual playing characteristics with features designed to suit your style of game. We have continued to raise the bar even higher in improving the technical aspects of our hockey sticks performance.
Our simple philosophy is to listen and respond to the needs of the top players - As international and club hockey evolves, so our new range changes to meet those needs. This has inspired us to develop our most innovative and comprehensive range of products to date. You can read more about our new ranges below and find the stick that suits your game.
Handling stick technology better where it matters most ... in the hands of players
Grays continue to invest in our research programme into both the playing characteristics of our composite and wooden sticks. This involves both laboratory and field testing of all our sticks to assess their playing characteristics. Grays have developed extensive expertise and technical data thus enabling us to create our range of composite and wooden sticks. This year we are introducing the latest composite innovation: Graphene Enhanced Technology. This year we have introduced the latest composite innovation: Geocentic Core Technology improving the internal construction of the way in which the stick is made.
The new “Probow” is the latest Grays blade profile combining a straight rear profile and extreme front profile complete with drag-flick grove and Micro headshape. The new Probow shape has been developed working with Ashley Jackson & other Penalty corner specialists.
Probow's will help players to:
• Generate “sling” momentum when executing the drag flick technique
• Stick flatter to the floor on reverse side to aid consistency
• Weight reduction from straightening of rear profile combined with Micro headshape results in a lightweight, well-balanced stick ideal for 3d skills.
The “Jumbow” blade profile is the ultimate shape and design with the curvepositioned down the blade to help generate “drag flick” momentum. The curve location is now contoured at the lowest legal position allowed within the FIH regulations. The Jumbow shape has been developed working with two of the
world’s top penalty corner specialists
Jumbow's will help players to:
• Generate “sling” momentum when executing the drag flick technique
• Creates improved “reach zone” over which you can dribble the ball
• Make passes more easily on the backhand side
• Combination of continuous blade and head profile make 3D skills easier to perform
The highly popular “Dynabow” blade profile is shaped with a curve positioned down the blade at 25cm from the base of the head – The combination of a
rounder lower hand profile and uniform rounder rear blade profile help to provide excellent handling qualities as well as excellent energy transfer when hitting and drag flicking.
Dynabow's will help players to:
• Optimum profile for both technical play, flicking and dribbling skills
• Improves “sling” momentum when executing the drag flick technique
• Rounder rear blade profile provides stable energy transfer when hitting
• Helps “extend the reach zone” over which you can dribble the ball freely using both forehand and backhand
• Rounded lower handle profile allows hands to rotate freely to enhance dribbling and 3D skills
The “Mid-Bow” blade profile shape has been repositioned more in the mid section of the blade at 30cm from the base of the head. The curve height is 24.75mm. The uniform bow is shaped and contoured continuously along the handle to the head and is especially contoured to improve the angle at which the stick head comes into contact with the ball - it will help give players the technical edge in performing today’s 3D hockey skills. Easily identifiable by it's own unique new graphical design, the Mid-Bow blade profile continues to become increasingly popular amongst a new generation of players who have learned their skills exclusively on synthetic pitches.
Mid-Bow's will help players to:
• Control “flat”, “sweep” and “slap hitting” techniques
• “Extend the reach zone” over which you can dribble the ball freely
using both forehand and backhand
• Improve the “first touch” control when stopping the ball at full stretch
For 2015 Grays have redesigned our “Standard” blade profile shape improving the classic traditional straighter shape by positioning the curve location lower
down the mid section of the blade at 25cm from the base of the head. The curve height remain at 20mm. The new classic bow is contoured along the length of the handle and blade.
“Standard” will help players to:
• Keep forehand and backhand passes on the pitch surface when hitting
• Make stopping control easier due to straighter blade profile
• Improve stick handling skills
Grays AR (Abrasion Resistant) Durazone has been introduced to reduce the effect of abrasive synthetic pitches on the heel area of the stick. The specially formulated mix of abrasion-resistant composite materials are positioned to help maintain the stick’s exterior surface, and prolong the playing characteristics.
PP Enhanced zone has been introduced to strengthen and improve the performance of the low backhand area of the stick. The specially formulated combination of fracture-resistant resin and impact-resistant fibres are positioned to give improved performance consistency whether shooting at goal, passing or dribbling.
The Improved Feel Area absorbs the initial ball contact with the surface of the stick head and provides a softer feel. Our special combination of shock absorbing aramid and fibreglass fibres improves first touch control and creates a better feel. The textured finish helps give more grip and control of the ball, particularly on water based surfaces.
The Tri-Tec carbon fibre weave increases carbon fibre consistency, which improves stick performance - particularly the energy transfer qualities when hitting the ball. The new three directional weave improves the sticks’ handle and feel, as each interconnected carbon fibre strand is more efficient and consistent than unidirectional carbon fibre strands.
The Energy Reduction Handle is designed to reduce the impact energy transmitted from the head of the stick through the blade and hands wrists and forearms. The thermo-rubber sleeve around the handle helps to improve the players control and feel when both hitting and receiving, which improves a player’s first touch on the ball.
Graphene Enhanced Technology creates a unique combination of powerful energy transfer when hitting, and shock absorbing properties for added feel and response.
Geocentric Core Technology features the introduction of a new hi-tech internal construction process using polyurethane foam as a structural core within the handle, blade and stickhead. The new Geocentric Core internal foam construction
combines with the highly successful twin tube carbon fibre matrix top layer to create a highly stable and durable stick that is the ultimate in feel and response as well as exceptional energy transfer when hitting.
The precise external composition layup of the top layer used on the Kinetic models has been formulated and adapted to be thinner using the unique properties of this innovative carbon fibre matrix. We have added the Improved Feel Area to
the range for even greater feel and performance, as well as the Abrasion Resistant Durazone heel area and PrePregEnhanced low backhand zone.
The player benefits of the new Grays Geocentric
Core Technology are :
• an Increase in the stick’s feel and impact response in close control, stopping and dribbling
• Improved energy transfer to the ball from the player’s Swing when hitting.
• Improved acoustic sensation with the ball makes contact with the stickhead and blade
• Improved performance and structural durability as a result of the foam internal compartments either side of the central carbon fibre internal wall
• Greater core stability and durability combined with feel when hitting
• Improved feel and handling response
Hi-tech stick development featuring the introduction of graphene in our GR range. Graphene is a high-performance form of carbon, which has a microscopic thickness making it one of the thinnest yet strongest new generation materials. Our precise layup composition within each stick in the GR range has been formulated using the unique properties of this innovative material.
The Graphene Enhanced Technology creates a unique combination of powerful energy transfer when hitting, and shock absorbing properties for added feel and response. We have added the Improved Feel Area to the range for even greater feel and performance, as well as the Abrasion Resistant Durazone heel area and PrePreg Enhanced low backhand zone.
Grays inspiration for the GR range has come from our desire to:
• Maximise the performance and durability of our composite sticks using the very latest in hi-tech materials and manufacturing techniques
• Improve the energy transfer to the ball from the player’s swing; to enable the best possible skills on the pitch
• Increase the stick’s feel and response in close control, stopping and dribbling
By introducing these hi-tech features, we are able to offer players the latest cutting edge technology.
• Greater core stability and energy transfer when hitting
• Increased performance and durability of the stick
• Improved feel and handling response
The new Grays Scoop Xtra range is designed for players who require the combination and extra benefit of both enhancing drag flick momentum with the additional stick handling control created to perform the very latest 3D hockey, particularly lifting the ball in close contact situations. As the new Scoop Xtra covers a greater area than the original Scoop along both the blade and head we have named the new shape the “ Quadrex Blade profile “ as it complies within the 4mm depth allowed within the FIH stick regulations.
Our Carbon Nano Tube Technology range has been re-launched with striking new design graphics and the introduction of new weaves including the large cross weave pattern. We have now added basalt into our top of the range nano model, providing the new combination of powerful energy transfer when hitting with the more shock absorbing basalt fibres for added feel and response. Although small in size, the minute sized Carbon Nano Tubes play an important part in taking our hockey stick construction technology to a new level. We have also added the Improved Feel Area to the range for even greater control, feel and performance.
Grays inspiration for our nano range has come from our desire to:
• Take the performance of composite sticks to a 2nd generation by improving the stick’s energy transfer consistency and performance
• Improve the sticks reliability by increasing both the flexural strength as well as giving greater torsional stability
• Increase the sticks feel and response in close control, stopping and dribbling. By introducing these hi-tech Carbon Nano
Technologies we are now able to introduce and offer players the latest cutting edge technology.
• Greater consistency in performance and energy transfer when hitting
• Improved stability against torsional forces when controlling the ball and when hitting
• Improved feel and handling response when controlling the ball